I am writing this recipe on the second day of the new year after preparing quite some meals and appetizers for the family. Focaccia is already a famous item for such days. But if you present this recipe for Spicy Garlic Focaccia on the dinner table, your guests or family will be head over heels for it. There are quite a few steps, so I recommend printing out the recipe or keeping the page open when you are following it.
Ingredients to Collect
For the Focaccia-
- All-purpose flour- 4 cups
- Instant yeast- 2¼ teaspoons
- Sugar- 2 teaspoons
- Water- 1-1/5 cups
- Extra virgin olive oil- ¼ cup
- Salt- 2½ teaspoons
For the Toppings-
- Garlic head- 1
- Mozzarella balls- 10-13 – marinated
- Spicy salami and rosemary for topping.
- Salt and hot pepper flakes- pinch
- Olive oil
- Take a large bowl of a standing mixer.
- Add flour, then a mixture of sugar and yeast.
- Put it in the mixer and mix a bit. Afterward, put in olive oil and water.
- Knead the dough at medium speed till it has almost come together.
- Sprinkle the salt as it is being kneaded (it will mix the salt itself). Let the dough come together and turn slightly sticky. You can add a little flour by rubbing it with your hands if your dough turns overly sticky.
- Oil a bowl and put the dough in it. Flip it around to let the oil coat, and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Leave it until it is almost three times its original size (or at least two and a half), which can take around 2-3 hours. Deflate it afterward.
- Take a 9×13” roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil (both the bottom and every side).
- Put the dough in the pan and spread it evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for another hour until it is twice its volume.
- As the dough is rising, put the garlic head in a dish and add olive oil to cover it properly.
- Put it in a small oven safe and roast it for an hour at 350° F until it gets soft and golden brown.
- Leave to cool totally.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Put the roasted garlic in the dough (Dot them with your finger).
- Do the same with the mozzarella balls.
- Top with spicy salami and rosemary.
- Drizzle with the olive oil that you infused the garlic with earlier.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and some hot pepper flakes(optional).
- Put in the preheated oven and bake till it is crispy and golden brown or for 20-25 minutes.
- Get it out, cut, and serve.
The Spicy Garlic Focaccia is a must-have during any party, holiday, festival, picnic, or anything related. Do remember that it takes quite a long time to prepare (mostly from the dough to rise), so start ahead. I recommend serving it with sandwiches or such on the table.